Contents & Ingredients
Vegan sausages - specially developed for Dishoom with Chef Neil Rankin.
Vegan naan doughballs – including a spare, for experimentation.
Tomato-chilli jam – a house recipe, made with tomato, ginger, garlic, green chilli, rice vinegar and sugar.
Vegan cream cheese.
Allergens: Gluten (wheat) and soya (from miso).
You’ll Also Need
A large frying pan, oven tray, kitchen foil, rolling pin (or use a cylindrical bottle or container if you don’t have one).
A little oil, for rolling the dough.
A clean tea towel.
1. If your dough balls have been kept in the fridge, allow them to come to room temperature before you begin. Start making your Masala Chai just before your sausages hit the pan for perfectly timed readiness.
2. Place a frying pan over a medium-high heat and add 1-2 tsp of vegetable oil. Fry the sausages, turning regularly, until very nicely browned and the skins are slightly crisp (6-8 minutes). Allow to rest in the warm pan or on a pre-warmed baking tray while you prepare the naans.
3. Very lightly oil your work surface (no flour needed), then take a doughball and use a rolling pin to form a round shape approximately 2mm thick and 20cm across. Allow the flattened dough to rest for 1 minute.
4. Place a large frying pan onto the highest heat on your hob. The pan needs to be very hot – this is essential for a good, fluffy naan.
5. Heat your grill to its highest setting. Position the rack to allow just enough space for your frying pan to slide in-between rack and grill.
6. Lay the flattened dough in the hot pan, and count to 30.
7. Remove the pan from the hob and slide it under the grill. The naan should bubble, puff up and start to brown, and should take around 1½–2½ minutes to cook (vegan dough can go a little crispier than non-vegan).
8. Remove the cooked naan from the pan and wrap in a clean tea towel to keep warm. Place the frying pan back on the hob and repeat the method with the remaining doughballs.
9. Transfer your sausages to a clean chopping board and carefully cut each in half lengthways with a sharp knife. Move back to the tray to keep warm.
10. To assemble, place a naan on your chopping board with the smoother side facing up and spread with cream cheese. Lay half of the sausages on one side, drizzle with 1tbsp
tomato-chilli jam and add a few coriander leaves. Fold the naan in half then slice it across the middle. Garnish with some extra coriander and tomato-chilli jam. Importantly – take a lovely photo to make all your friends envious, and then tuck in.